Monday 18 March 2019

Plans

Plan for the next 50cm square canvas...



When I'm planning, I make some small, very simple line drawings, to check the format I have chosen, and to work out the 'flow' of the painting.  I draw the shape of the canvas or paper, then add the flow lines, then the very basic shapes involved.  At this point I can extend the drawing in some directions, if it looks as though it needs it.
When that looks OK, I make a similar plan, but this time for the tonal values.  I try to stick to three tones - dark, mid, light/white.
After that, I might try out some colour combinations.  I have been doing these in the sketchbook, but I decided to make some little painted squares today, so I can swap them around.  

Colour samples.JPG.      Swatch sets trial.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment